We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. At no extra cost to you, I only recommend products I have experience with.
Do you know how many movies are filmed in New York City? Or how many TV shows? I don’t. And even after taking a tour, I still don’t because it’s too many to count. But, if you want to see dozens of movie and tv locations in NYC, you need to take a tour with On Location Tours.
On Location Tours provided us with a complimentary tour, however, all opinions are my own.
Riding in Style & Fun
The winning part of taking a movie and tv locations tour with On Location Tours is the luxury bus. It rained the week we were in NYC, a lot, so it was nice to take a tour inside a comfortable, cushy bus. I don’t mind braving the rain, but I imagine 2+ hours in it and we would have had a different experience. Plus, there’s a bathroom on board! Key when you have kids.
In addition, our guide was extremely knowledgeable about all things NYC. He made the tour engaging by offering up trivia and treats to the winner. He also taught us how to spot current filming locations.
But What if I don’t know the Movie?
First, let me ask what are your favorite movies and tv shows set in New York City? Mine:
- When Harry Met Sally
- How I Met Your Mother
- Home Alone 2
- Muppets Take Manhattan
And with the exception of the last one, probably because it’s over 30 years old and not quite as popular, we saw sites featured in all of those movies and tv shows. And then some!
But, what if they are showing you a site from a movie you don’t know? Here’s the best part, you’re on that luxury bus and it has tv screens! After each location, you get to see a clip of what was filmed there.
Funny story, after we drove by the Empire State Building, the guide asked what are the top 3 movies that take place there. My hand shot up and immediately stated Elf. You know, the scene with the elevator? Our guide simply shook his head in disappointment in me and went on to talk about King Kong, Sleepless in Seattle, and An Affair to Remember. I still attest Elf should be in there.
Not all of the tour takes place from the bus. We did stop at three locations to depart and take pictures. I’m pleased to say two of those stops were featured in movies and tv shows from my list (and probably many other’s lists too!)
Highlights of the Movie and TV Locations in NYC tour from On Location Tours:
- Visit locations from Friends including their apartment building
- Stop at the Park featured in Girls, The Mindy Project, Glee, & When Harry Met Sally
- See the pub that Michael Keaton frequents in Birdman
- Pass the hotels featured in Modern Family, American Hustle, and Ocean’s 8
- Spot The Original Soup Man and other locations featured on Seinfeld
- Catch a glimpse of the Oscorp and Daily Bugle offices from Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man
- Visit McGee’s Pub, the inspiration for MacLaren’s in How I Met Your Mother
- See new locations from Veep, Girls, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Homeland, Trainwreck, Mr. Robot, Marvel’s Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Younger and more!
- Ends at McGee’s Pub located at 240 West 55th Street and 8th Avenue
You’ll visit Times Square, Columbus Circle, Upper East Side, Washington Square Park, Tribeca (with explanations as to what the different neighborhood names mean) Greenwich Village, the Meatpacking District, and Midtown.
Tours last between 2.5 to 3 hours, depending on traffic. Cost is $45 for an adult and $31 for children.
In addition to the Movie and TV Locations in NYC, On Location Tours offers the following:
- Sex & the City Hotspots
- Gossip Girl
- The Super Tour
- Sopranos Sites
- When Harry Met Seinfeld
- TCM Classic Fil
- Central Park TV & Movie Sites Tour
- Holiday Lights & Movie Sites Tour
Note that some of these are walking tours, and wouldn’t be the same experience we had. However, the quality would be just as good!
Book any of these tours before you go to New York, as they do sell out!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.