We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. At no extra cost to you, I only recommend products I have experience with.
With Halloween right around the corner, travelers everywhere are looking for a spook or to visit a haunted place – and the Midwest is filled with them. From eerie graveyards with ghost spottings to unique establishments that are known for paranormal activity, each city carries its own set of mysterious stories for both visitors and locals alike to relive. All within a short drive or walking distance from these haunted hotspots, Marriott Hotels across the Midwest are providing the top places for this ghosting-hunting, thrill-seeking individuals to stay at during this time of year.
Republished with permission from Heron Agency
- With its rich history of being one of the most haunted cities in the Midwest, Chicago does not fall short on a spooky story or place to visit. Those looking to check out Graceland Cemetery for the chance to see the disappearing statue of Inez Clarke, a six-year-old girl who haunts the grounds, can stay at the Hotel Zachary, an Autograph Collection, which is a 10-minute walk from this haunted location.Westin Chicago River North, W Lakeshore, Sheraton Grand Chicago, and The Westin Michigan Avenue are all located within walking distance of Water Tower, where the silhouette of a man is said to be seen in the tower’s upper windows. Reports of faint cries, apparitions, and feelings of being touched by invisible entities have been reported at the Nederlander Theatre, just two blocks away from the Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel.
- Detroit, commonly known as “Motor City” or “Motown,” is also recognized as a paranormal playground. Aloft Detroit at the David Whitney serves as the perfect property to stay at for those daring enough to a pay a visit to The Whitney, an estate turned restaurant where witnesses claim to see the apparition of David Whitney, the wealthiest man in Detroit, roaming the halls. The ghost of Harry Houdini is said to haunt The Majestic Theatre, which is a quick drive from The Henry, Autograph Collection. Rumor has it that if you park on the bridge of Belle Isle, 15 minutes by car from The Westin Book Cadillac, and honk three times, a woman in white will appear.
- Since the city’s inception in 1856, Minneapolis has earned notoriety with its landmarks and establishments for being haunted. Extreme areas of cold have been detected at the Minnesota Institute of the Arts, located 10 minutes away from Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis. Paranormal-loving visitors looking to make a trip to First Avenue, a music venue that is said to house the ghost of a woman in a green army jacket, can stay at Elliot Park, Autograph Collection. Less than a block away from Emery, Autograph Collection is the Minneapolis City Hall, where the spirit of John Moshik is said to roam the halls of the building’s fifth floor.
- Filled with many haunted houses and spooky legends, the capital city of Ohio provides both locals and visitors alike with a creepy history to explore. Rumor has it that someone will knock back if one knocks on the Hayden Mausoleum door in Green Lawn Cemetery, just ten minutes away from Le Meridien Columbus, the Joseph. A quick walk from Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel is The Central Ohio Fire Museum, where the spirit of the famous Captain George Dukeman is said to reside. Thurber House, a quick drive from Residence Inn Columbus Downtown, serves as the sight of paranormal activity with the sounds of phantom footsteps gracing the halls. As the oldest hotel in the city, The Westin Great Southern Columbus is often featured on the many ghost tours throughout Columbus.
- From ghostly apparitions to mysterious sounds heard in the halls of an old building, the Queen City is filled with spooky places. A quick drive from the Courtyard Cincinnati Covington is the Cincinnati Music Hall, which plays host to the ghosts of children that used to live in the orphanage the hall is built on. Visitors in the area looking to pay a paranormal visit to The Dent Schoolhouse, the scariest haunted house in the city that reportedly houses the spirits of children, can stay at Renaissance Cincinnati Downtown.
You Might also like: