We all have bucket lists right… and New Year’s Resolutions? Of course, I believe all resolutions should include more travel! This year it’s a goal of ours to camp more as part of our travels. With that, I wanted to find some fun things to do when camping. I partnered with CreekFire Motor Ranch for a series of articles around camping, Savannah, GA, and all around fun. The following is the first in our series together.
It’s a new year, and that means a brand new wish list of places to go and things to see.
While some of you are busy planning a trip to theme parks or the beach, others out there are envisioning ways to spend more quality time with Mother Nature.
And rightfully so.
There’s no better way to relax and recharge than camping. (Did you know that after interacting with nature for just one hour, your memory and attention span improve by 20 percent? That’s just one example. There are so many more benefits to spending time outdoors.)
At CreekFire Motor Ranch, near Savannah, Ga., we’re gearing up for a busy year helping visitors disconnect from their day-to-day grind and unwind.
We’ve made sure our RV park and campground offers all the outdoor adventures that will excite and entertain you – but also reset your mind, body, and soul.
Before you go, we suggest making a bucket list so you don’t miss out on anything a camping adventure has to offer. To get you started, here are our recommendations for fun things to do when camping.
- Sleep in a hammock. Try these super-portable nylon ones. Go for a double and catch up on cuddle time!
- Watch the sun rise and set. Tybee Island, a barrier island off the coast of Savannah, has some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets on the East Coast.
- For help navigating the night sky, try one of these helpful apps.
- Be very, very quiet … and birdwatch. Tip: Instead of starting with a field guide, use your phone to snap pics of the feathered friends you see, and then look them up later for identification.
- Wet a hook. There’s nothing lazier than fishing. (And when you’re camping, lazy isn’t just OK, it’s encouraged.)
Explore your surroundings.
- Take a hike. If you can walk, you can hike. So don’t be intimidated. You can burn more than 500 calories in just one hour, lower your blood pressure and reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
- Kayak, canoe or paddleboard. No need to haul your own to CreekFire Motor Ranch. Many campgrounds, ours included, rent water toys on site.
- Ride a bike. Stick to streets (preferably side roads) or try a trail ride.
- Lake, pool, ocean. It doesn’t matter, especially during the hot summer months. At CreekFire, you don’t really have to choose. We have a resort-style pool, kids pool, hot tub and 35-acre lake with a sandy beach. Plus the ocean is less than an hour’s drive away.
- Some people prefer lolling along lazy rivers, while others go for the thrill of being pulled behind a speeding boat. The choice is yours.
- Jet Ski or water ski. Again, Tybee Island is the perfect spot for both.
- Experience the craze called “zorbing.” What is zorbing? Imagine a giant hamster ball for humans … that floats. This video explains it all.
Channel your inner child
- Hide and seek. Trust us, it’s even better at night.
- Have a water gun fight. Particularly hot day? Kick it up using ice water from your cooler.
- Learn to skip a rock. Back in the day, every kid knew how to do this. They learned the old-fashioned way – by trial and error and by practicing. So don’t Google a YouTube video!a
- Fill a mason jar with fireflies. Here in Savannah, we have plenty of fireflies. (We call them “lightning bugs.”) In fact, they’re icons of the perfect Georgia night.
- Organize a scavenger hunt … or go high-tech with geocaching. Print out a few of these free scavenger hunt lists before you go. And if you’re headed to CreekFire Motor Ranch, study up on the best geocaching spots around Savannah.
Do the whole campfire thing.
- Make s’mores. You know, stick, marshmallow, fire, graham cracker, chocolate. REPEAT.
- Tell ghost stories. Read up on some scary legends to share around the campfire. You can even continue the fun by going on one of Savannah’s famous ghost tours!
- Sing campfire songs. OK, it doesn’t have to be campfire songs. Anything your kids are into works just as well.
- Play charades … or even better, truth or dare. Put away the electronics and bond … it’s the stuff memories are made of.
Do you have any not-to-miss-activities you do when you camp? Comment below or send me an email! I’d love to add them to our list of fun things to do when camping.
CreekFire Motor Ranch
CreekFire Motor Ranch is a 105-acre RV destination built by a local Savannah, Georgia, resident who wants all visitors – families, snowbirds, vacationers and nearby residents – to become members of his “great American camping family.” CreekFire allows RVers and campers to connect with nature and build camaraderie in friendly surroundings, all while also experiencing the area’s historical spirit, Southern hospitality, and relaxed pace.